Top 10: Best Asian Cookbooks to Savor UPDATED
I was a cooking school for kids called Create a Cook because my girls were invited to a birthday party. Though I’ve been there in the past for the occasional party, I realized that I never actually stepped inside before. There was a huge 2 sided wall display of gorgeous cook books, better than any book store and I purused a pile of them while the party finished up. This inspired me to pull together my own Top 10 List of Best Asian Cook Books from their selection and my own stack at home.
p.s. Thank you to my mom friend Nathalie for reminding me about this one. I have it too!
The Foods of Vietnam by Nicole Routhier
10. The Asian Grandmothers Cookbook: Home Cooking from Asian American Kitchens by Patricia Tanumihardja
This is exactly the kind of food that I want to eat so I guess I better learn how to make it. I
9. Into the Vietnamese Kitchen: Treasured Foodways, Modern Flavors by Andrea Nguyen
She also writes for my favorite foodie magazine Saveur which is where I discovered her.
If you just want one cookbook for Chinese, this is it.
7. The Korean Table: From Barbecue to Bibimbap 100 Easy-To-Prepare Recipes by Taekyung Chung
My mother-in-law taught me how to make a few things but it’s a lot harder than it looks. This book is pretty though!
6. Practical Korean Cooking by Chin-hwa
For authentic Korean recipes and techniques, this is my go to.
5. Momofuku by David Chang
Well, a girl can dream, right? Celebrity chef David Chang showcases his rise to stardom amid a pile of recipes only a few of which can be reasonably recreated at home.
4. Bento Boxes: Japanese Meals on the Go by Naomi Kijima
I use some of these recipes as dinner entrees.
3. Hawaii’s Bento Box Cookbook: 2nd Course by Susan Yuen
The birthplace of Asian fusion was Hawaii.
2. Memories of Philippine Kitchens by Amy Besa
This is a fascinating read that covers the history of Filipino food and its many influences.
She’s my guide into the complex favors of South East Asian.
To view any cookbook more closely at Amazon, please click on image of book.